Social Media Policy
502 Social Media Policy
(1) Definition of Social Media
Any electronic communications or online platform such as a Web application, site, or account created and maintained by Chestermere Public Library which includes the capacity for public sharing, commentary, discussion, contribution and social networking.
(2) The Library will configure social media settings to best meet the following objectives.
- To provide information on Library services, programs, collections, and activities;
- To highlight and disseminate information related to community events, activities, resources, and issues;
- To provide a simple method for the community to provide feedback on Library services and to request assistance;
- To collect information on community needs and preferences;
- To build and sustain community.
(3) In facilitating social media, The Chestermere Public Library and its board and staff are subject to the Libraries Act and Regulation R.S.A. 2000 Chap. L-11 and the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIP), and uphold the Canadian Federation of Library Associations’ (CFLA) Statement on Intellectual Freedom and Libraries. While the library upholds intellectual freedom, the Library’s social media will not be utilized to endorse or disseminate political, social, or individual perspectives.
(4) Parental responsibility for minors is assumed for any social media use related to the Chestermere Public Library.
(5) The Library reserves the right to delete, remove, or not accept, any user submitted content that the Library believes, in its discretion, is objectionable or that:
- May be unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, hateful or discriminatory, and in violation of the Library’s Code of Conduct;
- Impersonates any person or entity, or falsely states or otherwise misrepresents an affiliation with a person or organization;
- May infringe intellectual property rights including copyright;
- Includes personal information published without the consent of the person to whom the information relates;
- Is unrelated to the content of the social media channel;
- Links to material that is not directly related to the discussion on the relevant channel;
- Is commercial promotion or spam;
- Is not in keeping with the safe and welcoming environment of the Library.
(6) In alignment with the Library’s Code of Conduct, the Library reserves the right to ban or block individuals from social media posting or access where there is repeated posting of objectionable content or where the social media interface and functionality makes blocking the effective way of dealing with objectionable posts.
(7) The Library does not accept any responsibility for any content appearing on its online and social media channels that does not originate from staff members, City of Chestermere Library Board members, or authorized external contributors.
(8) Only staff members authorized by the Director Of Library Services may post to Library social media channels. The City of Chestermere Library Board may post via instruction to the Director Of Library Services.
(9) Any post to social media representing the Library will be made from a Library account. No staff or City of Chestermere Library Board member will claim to represent the Library when posting from a personal account.
(10) Postings, comments and all online content posted by staff members to Library social media accounts shall reflect the mission, vision and values of the Library.